Dating from 1774 the town hall boasts an impressive façade, and is the work of the architect Torcuato Cayón. Inside it houses the Almirante Lobo Research Library, containing more than 6000 books covering military topics, medicine, the law and novels, as well as other historical documents from the 18th century.
San Romualdo Castle
This castle dates from the 16th century and together with the Castles of Rota and El Puerto de Santa María, it forms part of the line of medieval fortifications along the Atlantic coastline of Cadiz. It was declared a Historic Monument in 1931 and is currently under restoration.
Illustrious Mariner’s Pantheon
Pº Capitán Conforto s/n
Begun in 1786 it is located in the military district of San Carlos and was originally conceived as the Parish church for this new area of the town. Inaugurated in 1870 it was initially left open to the sky, but in 1948 it was roofed over. Of particular interest, situated in the interior, lateral aisles of the pantheon, are the tombs of famous mariners, including Gravina, Alava, Valdes, etc.
San Fernando Royal Naval Institute and Observatory
Cecilio Pujazón s/n
Founded in 1753 by Jorge Juan it is the centre for official Spanish Timekeeping and one of the most important scientific centres in the world. Among its different research areas the Timekeeping Section is of particular interest, containing as it does a battery of timekeeping in accordance with the Coordinated Universal Time Scale. The Geophysics department which has functioned continuously since 1879 is also worthy of mention . In addition the Institute is a seismological station and the most important geomagnetic observatory in Spain. The Observatory Library comprises more than 25000 books, including three incunabula dating from the 15th century.
Las Cortes Royal Theatre
C/ Las Cortes s/n
This is a building of more historical than architectural interest. It was inaugurated in 1804 and from September 1810 to February 1811, it was the seat of the General and Extraordinary Parliament, whose celebrated members drafted the first Spanish Constitution. It was declared a Historical Monument in 1935.
Sancti Petri Castle
The island of Sancti Petri lies just a few metres off the coast between San Fernando and Chiclana. According to legend, it was the site of the Temple of Hercules Melkart. Occupying the site of an ancient, Phoenician construction, Sancti Petri Castle was built in the 18th century. Although now in ruins and accessible only by boat, its impressive location and outstanding views of the coastal landscape make a visit well worth the effort.