To the north of Priego itself there are a number of scattered, more densely populated villages or aldeas (villages which share the town council of Priego).
Amongst these Castil de Campos needs to be mentioned. Its church, with its outstanding retablo built in 1952, is surrounded with the the scent of olives, the folk museum, and higher up, we can have a rest in a beautiful hermitage with an image of Jesus’ heart, and where the views never cease to surprise.
There is also El Cañuelo, founded by the abbots of Alcalá la Real as an escape from the summer, which contains pretty corners and streets worth eploring. Campo Nubes is the most northerly lying of the villages. The Arabic tower called “El Morchón” rises up nearby and a few kilometres away lies Salobral lake which has its own indigenous species of unusual wildlife.
In more recent times steel has been mined in Zamoranos; EL Poleo, situated on the top of what is called el tajo, enjoys some of the most impressive views from its viewpoint, and is reached by winding lanes through the olive groves bordering Jaen province, and Las Higueras, a peaceful corner where you can breathe the peaceful air.