From the very heart of Andalucía, Priego has watched time pass along its winding roads.
At times it was a migratory zone, at others a frontier territory. Priego has been a crucible of the various andalucias, established in the days of the medieval watch-towers, which were witnesses in stone of their own times and today appear to protect the traveller.
There was a time when Priego was not “Priego” but Medina Baguh, capital of one of the “coras” or provinces of the muslims and the centre of an important textile industry. Its mountain ranges then saw Ben Hafsun rise against the central power of the emirs and also, between conquests and reconquests, saw the christians of Castille and the muslims of the Kingdom of Granada come and go.
The medieval textile tradition of Priego was revived and greatly increased in the 18th century. Products such as taffeta or velvet were sold, largely in Spain, France and the Indies.
The 18th century also saw the appearance of the original and spectacular Priego baroque, displaying a beauty that has left a heritage which today has made this locality known as “the capital of andalucian baroque”.
From this we move on to 1881 when Alfonso XII conceded to Priego the title of city.
Distinguished citizens of this epoch were the sculptor Don José Álvarez Cubero (1768-1827), the painter Don Adolfo Lozano Sidro (1872-1935) and Don Niceto Alcalá Zamora (1877-1949), first president of the 2nd Spanish Republic.
Today, Priego is a town of great importance agriculturally and is notable for its craftsmanship and textiles and looks from its watchtower, to the future with great expectation.