Alhama de Granada Alhama is located on the southwest of the province at only 56kms from the capital.
Its name comes from its thermal baths, called al-hammam in Arabic. This unassailable fortress perched above a deep canyon was taken by the Catholic Monarchs in 1482. This was the one of hardest blows for the Muslims in the Kingdom of Granada.
The Romans also enjoyed the thermal springs and left some ruins related to them such as the Roman road, the Roman bridge and some recently dug villas.
Don´t miss the Roman bridge, spa, castle, El Carmen church, steep cliffs, Inquisition house, La Encarnacion church, Parish church museum, prison, cereal warehouse, La Reina hospital, Caño Wamba, dungeons and silos dug on the steep cliff and San Diego church.